Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Adding a Young Pup to a family with a Senior Dog

Welcome to August's topic: ADDING A YOUNG PUP TO A FAMILY WITH A SENIOR DOG.

Although I haven't been in this situation, recently neighbours of mine added two new minature collies to the family with a senior dog. I asked them why and their explanation was:

Colt, the senior dog, was sick and the thought of him passing away hurt them both. Thinking ahead they figured that having another dog in the house when the time came to put Colt down would be easier on them. Colt survived for two more years and before they put him down, they bought another miniature collie. Again, the explanation was for the other puppy, having been used to having a dog companion, they figured this upcoming change with Colt missing in the family would help in some ways.

I know now that I regretted not having bought a dog after our family pet passed away almost fifteen years. And now that we have our little Daisy, I know that when the time comes years from now, I will prepare myself by bringing in a new one to focus on when she passes away.

How or what effect does this have on a senior dog? I wish I knew and looking forward to reading everyone's input on this.

Lea Schizas

No comments: