Friday, October 26, 2007

Holidays that disappoint

Doesn't it seem that so many holidays disappoint. Christmas always leaves with a let-down. Birthdays are, all of a sudden, something to dread rather than something to look forward to (I had a fellow student in my fencing class ask me, the other day, why I was still alive as old as I am. I'm not THAT old.) Fourth of July's fireworks never seem quite as beautiful as they ones from when we were kids (although I'm sure they really are). But Halloween is always there and it's one holiday where you can make it exactly what you want.

I live in a diverse neighborhood just a couple of miles from downtown Dallas. For us, Halloween means kids in costumes. Some of the costumes are pretty bad, some are wonderful. Some of the kids are taller than me, but some are so small their parents have to carry them from house to house. For some, 'trick or treat' is about the extent of their English. But all of them bring smiles and a sense of togetherness.

In my books, magic is real but often dangerous. My 'return of magic plague' universe, for example, has the return of vampires, werewolves, trolls and others accompanied by a ramp-up in prejudice and discrimination. But the magic of Halloween is a happier, lighter magic. It's the magic of dressup, of play, and most of all, of smiling children.

I hope it's a happy day for all of you.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com

1 comment:

Lea Schizas - Author/Editor said...

Rob, you are so right to call it the 'magic of dressup' and that's precisely why I love it because I can dressup along with my kids and not worry about the men with white jackets to trot me off to a nut house. :)